The Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich was created out of the Dioceses of Norwich and Ely 100 years ago as a deliberate move on the part of the Church of England to minister directly to the historic county of Suffolk. The year 1914 also saw the outbreak of the First World War which left its mark on our county as it did elsewhere.
The new Diocese embraced virtually the whole of Suffolk except for the area in the far north east around Lowestoft known as Lothingland. It was agreed the Cathedral should be in Bury St Edmunds and that the Bishop should be based in Ipswich.
The Centenary Fund has been launched to celebrate the past 100 years and to provide a meaningful legacy for future generations. Over that time the role of churches has changed and expanded and many exciting things happen through congregations and the wider use of church buildings.
The Centenary Fund is an endowment fund where the gift forms the legacy and we use the interest to fund projects to encourage and enable churches to better serve the wider community across the Diocese.
The Fund will be managed by Suffolk Community Foundation:
Suffolk Community Foundation | Weblink
The fund aims to support community projects such as making church buildings more accessible to community groups; providing activities for those who are isolated; supporting the work of a parish nurse; organising a learning activity with a local school, or aiding a conservation or environmental project. It will add value to the work already undertaken by the Church of England in partnership with other churches and organisations.
To be eligible for funding, projects must involve an Anglican organisation, for example a Parochial Church Council or church school, but hopefully many projects will feature partnerships with community groups or other churches. Watch the website for when to apply for funding.