The Diocese of St Edmundsbury and Ipswich has had a partnership with Kagera Diocese in North-West Tanzania for more than 20 years. The Education Team encourages all schools to find out about life in Kagera. We offer an exciting and challenging day for all primary schools to explore this link, as well as materials teachers can delve into themselves. Our churches are also developing ever closer links with Kagera.
We hope you will enjoy finding out more in the following resources.
- Kagera Schools' Days-+
Kagera Schools’ Day
For additional support materials for the schools’ day – see below. For more background information on Kagera, see the ‘Take a Look: Our Kagera Link’ section.
- Take a Look: Our Kagera Link-+
These resources make up an information and photo pack to introduce schools to our link diocese of Kagera. They can support a Kagera schools’ day or help develop a school topic.
- KS1 powerpoints – Carrying, Eating, Playing, Shopping | PPT
- KS2 powerpoints – A School Day, Food and Farming, Homes, Travel, Work, Worship | PPT
- Take a Look at Our Kagera Link booklet | DOCX
- Ten photos to help you Take a Look at Kagera | PPT
- Ten work cards to match the ten photos | DOCX
- Ways to use the ten photos of Kagera | DOCX
- Swahili Song for Children-+
‘Mungu na sisi milele’ or ‘God is with us forever’ was written by Andy Rayner to celebrate the Diocesan Centenary. Suffolk schoolchildren sang it to the Bishop of Kagera on his visit to England. Why don’t you learn it to sing in Collective Worship?
- Suffolk school children singing: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Qdu86E0ir4
- Learning the signing for the song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LovLvqwtxkY
- Song lyrics, sheet music, audio sample, video link: http://worshipsongs.org.uk/ You could also try ‘Water of life’, another song written in African style, found on this site.
- Even better – watch Archbishop of Canterbury learning the actions for Mungu na Sisi milele - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=un4HowrIpb0
- The Lord's Prayer Project-+
This amazing CD contains 13 songs including a Lord’s Prayer sung in Swahili with the children from Kagera. It also includes BSL, a reflective story, interactive prayer stations, 30 assemblies and a complete RE day for EYFS through to Y6.
It can be bought from the Diocesan office at £15 plus p&p. £5 goes to NAPS school and £5 supports us in developing more resources to do with Kagera.
- Ngara Crosses-+
A wonderful project of shared RE and Art between an Ipswich school and Ngara Anglican Primary School in Kagera, in which children create crosses out of gathered materials in the style of Andy Goldsworthy.
The pack is available from Jacqui.email@example.com for £15 plus p&p.