Menu icon

Copyright and Licensing


Most churches need a copyright licence. It is most likely that will be a CCL (Church Copyright Licence). The table below gives you more information.  

Click on the name of a licence for full details of what that licence covers. When you know which licences you need, you can view the licence fees and apply online directly with the relevant company.

  CCL MRL PRS for Music CLA CVL PPL Song Select Basic Song Select Advanced Melody
Reproduce the words of hymns and worship songs (e.g. projection)              
Photocopy hymns and songs from authorised publications            
Perform live music outside times of worship for social activities              
Play music from a sound recording outside times of worship (e.g. social activities, youth groups etc.)            
Make audio / video recordings of church services for non-commercial use              
Play music from a sound recording during times of worship, weddings & funerals No licence required
Show films or film scenes outside times of worship            
Show film scenes during times of worship only              
Photocopy from magazines or non-music books              
Download Song Lyrics            
Download song lyrics, chord sheets & lead sheets            


Alcohol licensing for churches

If your church is holding a fundraising event and you wish to sell alcohol please adhere to the guidelines stated here.


Images for use online and in print

Please ensure that you have permission to use images anywhere online – your website, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram – as well as in print.

There is a common misperception that images online are in the public domain and can be reused. On the contrary, you should presume that all online content is copyright and you do not have permission to use it yourself without consent from the copyright holder.