The Mothers’ Union is an international Christian charity with over four million members in 83 countries across the world. Our vision is of a world where God's love is shown through loving, respectful, and flourishing relationships. Our purpose is to demonstrate the Christian faith in action by the transformation of communities worldwide through the nurture of the family in its many forms. We have around 50 very active Suffolk branches and over 1000 members in our diocese; membership is open to women and men who have been baptised in the name of the Trinity and who support the aim and purpose of the MU.
Contact: 01728 748365
- Mothers' Union in Suffolk website www.musuffolk.org.uk
- Visit the Mothers’ Union website www.themothersunion.org
- 140th Anniversary-+
2016 is a special year for the Mothers’ Union as we celebrate 140 years of service to families and communities. Their theme for the year is ‘A Celebration of Faith’ and here in Suffolk members will be taking every opportunity to celebrate the faithfulness of God through the years. The ‘Lady Day’ service will take place in our Cathedral during April. Details will be provided to members.
The Mothers’ Union offers three types of membership.
- Many members join through a “branch” – or parish based group. Others who may not have a local group nearby or who do not feel able to participate at parish level choose Diocesan Membership. They will receive information on projects, programmes and events in the diocese and further afield.
- The Indoors Members scheme is intended for those who can give time for prayer support.
- Others join as Central Members. This can be done via the website. These members receive regular information, publications and letters from the Worldwide President and Chief Executive - keeping them up to date with all that is going on.
Members pay an annual subscription to the society whichever type of membership they choose. From each subscription about £8 goes towards the centrally funded work of the Mothers’ Union.
The Mothers’ Union Prayer
We thank you for your love so freely given to us all.
We pray for families around the world.
Bless the work of the Mothers' Union
as we seek to share your love
through the encouragement, strengthening and support of marriage and family life.
Empowered by your Spirit, may we be united in prayer and worship,
and in love and service reach out as your hands across the world.
In Jesus' name. Amen.
The Mary Sumner Prayer
Written in 1876 by Mothers' Union founder, Mary Sumner
All this day, O Lord,
let me touch as many lives as possible for thee;
and every life I touch, do thou by thy spirit quicken,
whether through the word I speak,
the prayer I breathe,
or the life I live. Amen.