God’s Church is alive, growing and vibrant around the world. It is a powerhouse to transform for the better the lives of individuals and communities worldwide through its many ministries.
Much of our aid, development and social justice was and is rooted in the work of the Church.
- World Mission Group-+
The Diocesan World Mission Group (WMG) aims to enable the people of Suffolk to learn from and be itself transformed by God’s worldwide actions. In order to enable this the WMG seeks to promote:
- Prayer for world mission
- Wider church mission
- Global justice
- Global evangelism
- Partnerships with Christians around the world.
We have so much to learn from God’s Church outside this country and much that we can share as well from what he has given us. Visiting and receiving visitors from other places can stretch our understanding, help build our faith and stimulate mission where we are and support theirs where they are.
Our Diocese has had a particular partnership link since 1994 with the Diocese of Kagera in NW Tanzania, a poor remote part of that country next door to Rwanda. The bonds of friendship, prayer, support and learning have touched many lives, and could touch many more as we aim to grow the link.
Very often the issues that are facing us are global issues which in other countries can be issues of life and death. Global warming here may lead to increased rainfall and the loss of homes and possessions, but in our partner Diocese in Kagera Tanzania it can lead to crop failures, major landslips, starvation and life and death situations.
So the current focus of the WMG is into five areas.
- Kagera and its regional context, in the African Great Lakes region
- World Development, including issues such as Trade Justice and Fairtrade, Global Warming
- The World on our Doorstep – those from other countries and cultures now living in Suffolk
- Global evangelism, supporting and learning from church growth stories around the world
- International Focus – developing particular international focusses such as the Syrian Refugees about to arrive in our Suffolk
- World Development-+
World development is about:
- tackling the root causes of global poverty
- seeking to make trade fair and to bring about trade justice
- seeking to bring about the cancellation of unpayable and unjust poor country debts
- highlighting the connections between climate change and poverty
- combating the scourges of HIV/AIDS, malaria & similar diseases
In our diocese we seek to provide information on these global development issues to parishes and encourage each other to participate in action. The objective is to redress the unjust structures of the world and safeguard the integrity of creation.
Carol Mansell and Richard Stainer are Joint World Development Advisers for our diocese. They are available as a resource to churches, and can help churches to find information about development issues, Christian responses and worship material. They are keen to speak to churches or other groups on a range of world development issues.
Find resources and our latest newsletter in below.
World Mission Resources
- Kagera Leaflet | PDF
- Kagera Giving Form | PDF
- Fairtrade Leaflet | PDF
- Friends of Kagera Christian Training College | PDF
- NAPS Newsletter | PDF
- Kagera Day Leaflet | PDF
World Development Newsletter
- World Development Newsletter (July 2017) | PDF
- World Development Newsletter (January 2017) | PDF
- World Development Newsletter (November 2016) | PDF
- World Development Newsletter (September 2016) | PDF
World Mission External Links
- Anglican Alliance | Webpage
- Bond | Webpage
- Christian Aid | Webpage
- Christian Solidarity | Webpage
- BMS | Webpage
- CMS | Webpage
- FairtradeGCAP | Webpage
- Global Justice Now | Webpage
- Jubilee Debt Campaign | Webpage
- Micah Challenge | Webpage
- Oxfam | Webpage
- Partnership for World Mission | Webpage
- SPEAK | Webpage
- Tearfund | Webpage
- USPG | Webpage