The Education Team produce their own, effective resources for use in Collective Worship and Religious Education lessons. Many of these are available free of charge as downloads from this page. Others are commercially printed resource packs for which a charge is made to cover costs. Additionally, postage and packing is charged at cost unless schools or individuals can arrange collection of the item(s) from the St Nicholas Centre in Ipswich (IP1 1UQ).
We anticipate that all of the resources listed here will be in stock at all times - if a title is not highlighted in purple this indicates that we are reprinting the pack or awaiting stock from a supplier.
- The Emmanuel Project-+
The Emmanuel Project CD provides all 42 enquiry-based units for teaching RE:
- 22 units on Christianity from EYFS to KS2; and
- 20 units on other world faiths for KS1 and KS2.
For more details and how to order please click here (PDF).
- Scheme of work details for EYFS | PDF
- Scheme of work details for KS1 | PDF
- Scheme of work details for KS2 | PDF
Further information to follow.
Schools are very much at the front line when a bereavement occurs. It might – tragically – be a pupil who has died, a member of staff, a member of a child’s/member of staff’s family or a Governor or other member of the local community. In all schools – Church and Community – we would hope that local Clergy are able to take a lead in supporting those affected by the loss and in many circumstances help has also been sought from the LA. However, we recognise that for many schools access to a ready-made resource for use in these circumstances would prove helpful.
We have put together two identical packs - each containing some 20 books along with a tactile Badger soft-toy - that have proved effective and have been recommended by those working in this area of pastoral need. Some of the books are for pupils, some for adults and others provide starting points for discussion of the “what if” scenarios. There are also links to the websites of national organisations such as The Child Bereavement Charity and Edward's Trust.
You can borrow either set of resources by contacting Jacqui Studd or call 01473 298570. They are loaned free-of-charge and without time limit.
- Collective Worship -+
Produced as a result of the Collective Worship Conferences in 2013 and 2014 these four slide presentations are invaluable resources for those who plan or lead Collective Worship in Church of England Primary Schools.
These are large pdf files that may take 10 seconds or more to download. They can then be viewed as a slideshow or printed in hard-copy using Adobe Acrobat.
‘Flippin’ Praise’ is a simple A4 flip-book intended to help groups of children plan acts of worship in relation to a given theme for the day. It also helps them become clearer about what Collective Worship is about.
- Flippin’ Praise uses a four-fold structure of Gathering, Engaging, Responding and Sending to plan school Collective Worship. This is used for several reasons:
- It is similar to the common format of ‘assembly’: welcome, story, song, prayer/ reflection, dismissal.
- The same structure relates to many Anglican acts of worship and for church schools may create recognisable links between school and church
- It is the structure recommended by the Liturgical Commission of the Church of England in their report ‘Transforming Worship’.
Choosing items for the four different sections helps children begin to see a shape to worship and is the first step to good planning. Flippin’ Praise does not provide ready-made acts of Collective Worship. Children will need to be given or to decide on the theme for their Collective Worship before they use Gather – Engage –Respond – Send. The book costs £10 (plus p & p). Flipping’ the pages is all part of the fun!
Working on Worship
These colourful 4 page spreads on many different aspects of Collective Worship have been prepared by Helen Matter, our Schools’ Adviser, working alongside practising teachers, clergy and lay Christians, who regularly plan and lead Collective Worship. Written primarily for church primary schools, they are really helpful for all interested in improving their Collective Worship. Try one out in a brief spot in your staff meeting. Over time work through others in the series and watch it make a real difference to your Collective Worship in small bite-size steps.
New papers are added regularly. Contact us if you want to suggest a new subject! Each set is a pdf file and so can be downloaded, printed and circulated with ease.
- Working on Worship 1 - Creating the right atmosphere | PDF
- Working on Worship 2 - Refreshing the Routines | PDF
- Working on Worship 3 - Welcoming Visitors | PDF
- Working on Worship 4 - The Round of the Seasons | PDF
- Working on Worship 5 - Being Anglican | PDF
- Working on Worship 6 - Celebrating the Eucharist in School | PDF
- Welcome to Worship 7 - When Parents join you for Collective Worship | PDF
- Working on Worship 8 - Enriching Values for Life | PDF
- Working on Worship 9 - Good Morning Everybody | PDF
- Working on Worship 10 - Using the Bible - Open the Book | PDF
- Working on Worship 11 - The Singing Assembly | PDF
- Working on Worship 12 - Valuing and Evaluating Worship | PDF
- Working on Worship 13 - Letting the children lead | PDF
- Working on Worship 14 - Using the Lord's Prayer | PDF
- Working on Worship 15 - (still drafting this one!) | PDF
- Working on Worship 16 - Blessings and Prayers for Birthdays | PDF
- Working on Worship 17 - Early Years children in CW | PDF
- Working on Worship 18 - Re-discovering Traditional Hymns | PDF
- Working on Worship 19 - Father, Son and Holy Spirit | PDF
- Working on Worship 20 - Using Flippin' Praise to help children plan acts of worship | PDF
- Working on Worship 21 - Prayer spaces in schools | PDF
- Kagera Link-+
Our Diocesan link with the Anglican Diocese of Kagera in Tanzania is greatly strengthened by the close relationship we have built with the Ngara Anglican Primary School (NAPS). Contact Jean Daltry, Kagera Link Co-ordinator for resources and other goodies which we hope will inspire you to find ways of informing your pupils about NAPS, the work they do and our fund-raising for them.
- Lord’s Prayer Project-+
A music resource for schools and churches professionally recorded in Ipswich Primary Schools and the Ngara Anglican Primary School, Tanzania. The CD contains:
- 13 songs, including 10 sung versions of the Lord’s Prayer
- 30 fully-documented and resourced assemblies / acts of collective worship
- all you need to run a primary-age RE theme day on all aspects of the Lord’s Prayer
- sign language guidance, resources and ideas to help create interactive stations and a fully-documented reflective story
- spoken recordings of the Lord’s Prayer in 18 different languages.
All this for £15 + £1.50 p&p per copy.
- School Effectiveness-+
Home-School Diary for Church Schools
An excellent way of adding value to home-school diaries by customising them. Children will be proud to share them with their families and parents will want to check them daily. The ethos section gives church schools a great way of sharing their Christian values with the families of their schools. Thanks to Jane Trampnow at All Saints CEVAP School, Newmarket, for this.
- CEVA Home Learning Book | PDF
A fresh approach to newsletters for parents
Take a look at Lisa Tweed’s newsletters from Risby CEVCP School. Go to www.risby.suffolk.sch.uk and follow the link to ‘Newsletters’ to see Lisa’s engaging, exciting approach to newsletters that ensures that, from this school, they will not fail to be read! See what you think…
Courtesy of Wendy Kelway at Capel St Mary CEVCP School. This useful resource is used currently by HMI and is a grid for collecting evidence of the quality of teaching over time that can help lead to a judgement.
- Triangulation Grid | PDF
Lesson Observations Elements Grid
Thanks to Sue Todd at St Matthews CEVAP School for this. Based on the work of Chris Quigley, this is a resource which a number of Heads in the Diocese are now using as a helpful way of assisting them with their observations of teaching and learning.
- Lesson Observations Grid | PDF
Termly Monitoring Schedule template
Courtesy of Vicky Hogg, Headteacher at Thurlow CEVCP School. Headteachers will, I am sure, appreciate the simplicity of this template, which fits onto 2 sides of A4!
Monitoring record template for Collective Worship
School effectiveness in our church schools includes Christian distinctiveness. I am often asked for something to help Heads with their observations of collective worship. Here is a suggested format for Headteachers and those wishing to take a closer look at the quality of collective worship in their schools.
- CW Monitoring Form | PDF
Book Scrutiny Quick-Check grid
To assist senior leaders when carrying out and recording evidence of their regular ‘book looks’ of pupils’ work.
- Scrutiny Grid | PDF
Summer Reading Lists for Secondary Schools
Two versions of the summer holiday reading lists as recommended for students at Debenham High School. Many of the books recommended are definitely for older students but the idea and format can be easily adapted for our primary schools.
Headteacher’s Reports to Governors
Thanks to Carolyn Taylor, Headteacher at Kelsale CEVCP School for these Headteacher’s reports . These are a really good example of Headteacher reports that are produced with clear links to the OfSTED schedule.
Particularly helpful for Governors is the ‘Acronyms’ section.
Go to the Kelsale School website.
Keep visiting these pages - More resources to be added shortly. Should you have resources that you wish to share please email them to Philip Knowles.
- Take a Look-+
These resources come as photopacks with an 8, 16 or 24-page accompanying booklet. The photos are all A4 in size and are laminated with explanatory notes on the reverse. Clicking on each of the titles will take you to an order form.
- Take a look at ... The Great Prayer and Worship Adventure | PDF
- Take a look at ... Our School Eucharist | PDF
- Take a look at ... Ngara Crosses | PDF
- Take a look at ... Our Kagera Link | PDF (a single copy issued FREE to each of our schools - other schools, please email Helen Matter)
Each of these photopacks is priced at £15.00 plus £2.50 p&p per copy
- World Faiths and Christian Festivals -+
These downloadable resources have been put together by Helen Matter and can help Teachers whose subject knowledge may need a little revision or support.