All Governors play a vital part in the life of any school. They provide a diversity of experience and skills that are essential to the smooth-running and success of individual schools.
The Diocesan Board of Education (DBE) and its Education Team offers support and encouragement in a variety of specialised areas, among them being: Finance, Buildings, Personnel, Admissions, Religious Education and Collective Worship.
They also have a statutory responsibility to support the appointment, induction and training of Foundation Governors who specifically have a duty to preserve and develop the religious character of their schools.
Your first point of contact for anything to do with Governors is Jacqui Studd (Tel: 01473 298570).
Becoming a foundation governor
Foundation Governors are an integral part of the Governing Body of our Church Schools. For more information about the role and responsibilities of being a foundation governor, please read our Governance in Church Schools booklet (July 2018).
Foundation Governors may be nominated by Parochial Church Councils or the Diocesan Board of Education (DBE). In all cases their nomination must be ratified by the DBE.
For new foundation governors in church schools, the following form needs to be completed:
Foundation Governor Application form | PDF
For foundation governors wishing to be re-appointed, please use the following form:
Foundation Governor Re-appointment form | PDF
For new foundation governors in church academies, the following form needs to be completed:
Foundation Governor Application form Umbrella Trust | PDF
For new foundation governors in Diocesan MAT schools, please contact Danni Himsworth, tel 01473 298542.
Once the application form is completed (and signed by the Incumbent) the process takes about a week from receipt of the form in the Diocesan Office. Completed forms should be sent to: Jacqui Studd, Governor Appointments, Diocesan Office, 4 Cutler Street, Ipswich IP1 1UQ.
All members of the Diocesan Education Team can deliver governor training which complements the programme offered by Governor Services at Suffolk County Council. For further information on Governor Services training, please see their training brochure for 2018-2019 by clicking here. If you have any training requests for the Diocesan team, please contact Jacqui Studd. Details of future governor training will be available here shortly.
The following resources may prove useful:
- A video by Jane Sheat, Diocesan Director of Education, on governance in church schools (October 2018). Please see the videos section below.
- Our Governance in Church Schools booklet (July 2018) | PDF
- The All Party Parliamentary Group on Education Governance and Leadership have produced (March 2015) a very useful set of 20 Key Questions every Governing Body should ask itself. Download a copy here.
- Our Model terms of reference for an Ethos Committee in church schools | PDF
Ofsted have also produced a number of webinars on governance:
- Ofsted's webinar on governance, which aims to ansome some of the questions about governance (Autumn 2017)
- Inspecting Governance: an Ofsted webinar for governors and school leaders in the East of England (December 2017)
- Short inspection explained: an Ofsted webinar for schools in the East of England (March 2018)
Please see video links below.
Our colleagues in the Ely diocese have put together a useful document with 55 ways in which a Church and a School can work closely together.
- Church School Links | PDF
Last updated: 10 April 2019.