All Governors play a vital part in the life of any school. They provide a diversity of experience and skills that are essential to the smooth-running and success of individual schools.
The Diocesan Board of Education (DBE) and its Education Team offers support and encouragement in a variety of specialised areas, among them being: Finance, Buildings, Personnel, Admissions, Religious Education and Collective Worship.
They also have a statutory responsibility to support the appointment, induction and training of Foundation Governors who specifically have a duty to preserve and develop the religious character of their schools.
Your first point of contact for anything to do with Governors is Jacqui Studd.
- Foundation Governor - nomination form-+
Foundation Governors are an integral part of the Governing Body of our Church Schools. Foundation Governors may be nominated by Parochial Church Councils, Charitable Trusts or the DBE. In all cases their nomination must be ratified by the DBE.
Once the application form is completed (and signed by the Incumbent) the process takes about a week from receipt of the form in the Diocesan Office. Completed forms should be sent to: Jacqui Studd, Governor Appointments, Diocesan Office, 4 Cutler Street, Ipswich IP1 1UQ.
- Useful resources-+
The following resources may prove useful:
- The All Party Parliamentary Group on Education Governance and Leadership have produced (March 2015) a very useful set of 20 Key Questions every Governing Body should ask itself. Download a copy here.
- Our Model terms of reference for an Ethos Committee in church schools | PDF
Ofsted have also produced a number of webinars on governance:
- Ofsted's webinar on governance, which aims to ansome some of the questions about governance (Autumn 2017)
- Inspecting Governance: an Ofsted webinar for governors and school leaders in the East of England (December 2017)
- Short inspection explained: an Ofsted webinar for schools in the East of England (March 2018)
Please see video links below.